Saturday, April 12, 2008

Boggan FAQ

Well, this is my first blog post, so I guess I should explain the nonsensical title of the blog. So, without wasting any more of your time, may I present to you, the official Boggan FAQ!
What?
Boggan is short for toboggan, which is not a sled, but a knit cap one would wear while using a sled, working a dock, doing a Michael Nesmith impression, or taking solace in the warm, woolly, accessory that has a tight hold on your cranium.
Why?
One of my favorite things is my dad's old Indiana Hoosiers toboggan (hat) that he passed down to me while I was in high school. It was a necessary evil at first; not being the most comfortable, but offering sufficient insulation against the cold weather of winter (and honestly, a good part of fall and spring, too). I kept it in my golf bag in the spring, and my friends started calling it the "lucky boggan" for some reason. I never really made the connection there (as the boggan, or lack thereof, never translated directly to my golf prowess), but legends often have mysterious beginnings. So, fast forward (or chapter skip) a few years, and you'd see that I was wearing the boggan while playing Trivial Pursuit (yes, I realize that is a very bizarre combination, but at that time it seemed perfectly logical... It was cold, and I needed to stay alive long enough to finish the game). So, after pondering and successfully answering the truly trivial questions, the boggan was again deemed by my friends (a different, nerdier set of friends) to be lucky. It must be true! Seizing the opportunity to create a legendary object out of a ratty, old, head-warming piece of cloth, I proclaimed that it was "The Boggan of Solitude".
Okay, that's nice, but why is this blog called "The Boggan of Solitude"?
Well, that's a much shorter story (lucky for you). First, it's a reference to something very dear and personal to me (sniff). Second, it is probably the only thing I could name this blog that is truly unique; which has become increasingly difficult lately with the billions of typing monkeys moving on from their Shakespeare work, and starting to take every other decent name for a webpage. Third, and most relevant, is that this blog is analogous to the mythological properties attributed to the "Boggan of Solitude". This blog allows me to gather my thoughts into something tangible (and hopefully useful), which will hopefully help combat the my-head-is-a-thought-maraca effect. This, like the boggan, is my refuge from the crazy world outside. How's that?
Fine, I guess.
That's not a question. Next question, please.
When?
Well, starting now (obviously), but probably continuing often (or not so much) over the coming days, weeks, and months to come.
Where?
Here. Geez, where else do you think?
Who?
Me! See the About Me section.
To what extent?
Probably longer than what anyone would be interested in reading, but hopefully long enough to express something worthwhile. One blog I remember looking at had frequent posts consisting of, "I'm tired. Nothing to write." That was it. It made me think, why is this person going through the effort to post, "I'm tired. Nothing to write."? Obviously, he had something to write. Also, since it was a blog apparently followed by several people, why would they be interested in the fact that he is often tired, and has nothing to write? I won't do that to you! There will be days when the posts are long and rambling, days when they are short and funny (or troubling), and probably long expanses of time where nothing will be posted.
Taco?
Sure!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

My last name was Boggan