Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Surprise!!!

[Singing] Happy Earth Day to you, Happy Earth Day to you, Happy Earth Day dear lifeform, Happy Earth Day to you! [End Singing]

Yes, once again it's Earth Day,

[Singing] ...and many moooooore! [Really, I mean it, End Singing]

Okay, it's Earth Day, again, and I don't know if I'm supposed to feel happy, thankful, hopeful, or mournful. I'm not really any of those, as far as Earth Day is concerned. I'm not an environmentalist, by any stretch of the imagination, but I also think that we should do a better job of conserving our natural resources and preserving nature. I really don't understand why everyone seems to be on either of the two sides of the environmental issue. On one extreme you have the tree-hugging, the-world-is-ending crowd, and on the other, you have the everything's-fine, I'll-pollute-if-I-feel-like-it bunch. I don't really reside in either camp.

I don't believe that we're causing global warming, but I do think that we can do a better job keeping pollutants out of our air, water, and soil. We should care about the Earth and all of its inhabitants. We should take a little extra time and effort to dispose of trash and wastes properly. We should find cleaner and more efficient ways means of production and transportation. We should strive to use less, and reuse more. Think about all the energy that we could save if everybody watched a little less TV, and let their computers go into standby mode when not in use. Imagine the savings in energy, materials, and landfill space if we would repair electronics and other household items, instead of replacing them with newer ones.

We should take care of what God has entrusted to us. I just don't think that more legislation, higher taxes, and misinformation are the tools we should use to reach the goal of a cleaner environment.

No comments: